Assimp - can we use from gdscript in game?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By GodotRobot

I’d like to use the Catmull Clark subdivider from open asset import library in a game, specifically with gdscript (not gdnative). Is this possible, or is this only available in the editor?

Basic issue is that I’m building a dynamic mesh. It’s not a cube, it’s not a plane, it’s not a cylinder, etc, so I’m using “Mesh” instead of “CubeMesh”, “CylinderMesh”, etc, and thus I don’t have access to subdivide_width and subdivide_depth properties …, and thus would like to use a library to subdivide the mesh.

I realize I could find a script somewhere to do this, but would like to make use of something that’s had a lot of time put into it to have confidence in it, as well as possible performance benefits of it being in C++.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / suggestions.

It looks like someone is actually working on integrating OpenSubD. Any chances of getting this merged into next 3.2 release?

https://github.com/nekomatata/godot/commit/87e75148281dad03e38f40958bbbddc5ff561765

GodotRobot | 2020-05-05 19:48

The 3.2.2 release is too close for this to happen, sorry.

Calinou | 2020-05-11 09:37