Creating beautiful programs using the engine

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By oqgeoo875

Hello, I have a question, is it possible to create software (not a game) with a beautiful interface like Electron, QT, Flutter? It seems to me that Godot has a plus assembly, cross-platform, free, multilingual (python, javascript, etc.). Is it possible to do for macOS from Windows? Is there a builder for Github CI? I assume that the code of finished programs can also be protected (not critically) by comparison usually with Electron? Are there small sample programs? And you can make a photo view with folders, is there an example? Is it possible to read xml and output inside the program? Example? (Sorry, I’m a beginner in programming, in the game engine, and sorry for my English

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: zhyrin

Here is a showcase of desktop applications made with godot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKp0oguzr8

As user interfaces are important parts of a video games, the godot engine of course has great features to help you build them, you can almost think of it as a standalone widget toolkit that has a game engine attached to it. The nodes in godot (basic building blocks to create your game/app) have three main categories: node2d for 2d world related stuff, node3d for 3d world related stuff, and control for ui related stuff. There are a myriad of control nodes that implement different features that you would need for ui development.
Here is the documentation page to get you started: User interface (UI) — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English

You can export your godot projects for linux, mac, windows, android and ios, as well as web out of the box.

I’m not sure about github ci, but as far as I know the godot developers use automated builds to release the different versions of the engine. If you look at the different repositories of the godotengine github user, you might just find one that contains build files for github.

When exporting your project, you can encrypt your sorcefiles, for that you can’t use the provided export templates (the parts that convert the project to specific platforms), you’ll have to build the export templates yourself with the key built into them. There is documentation about this that you can follow on the docs I believe.

The same github user (godotengine) also has a repository for demo projects, this has a dedicated gui folder with examples, although it might not be as thorough as you might hope. At least material maker (from the showcase video) is open source and you can browse its code.

Godot does have an xml parser class: XMLParser — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English

As a side note: I actually did build a small music player that I use semi regularly, so I can attest to being able to make application in godot :slight_smile:

zhyrin | 2023-06-13 18:41

Thank you for your quick response (good to ask here). I liked several options, before asking the question yesterday I came across CozyBlanket and I was surprised that it was Godot. Yes, I know there is a Pixelorama, but it looks like a game. A few more questions. Is it possible to use pip (Python)? And what can be learned to create programs and engine capabilities? That is, it is possible to make applications without code? (not games?) Can I find a tutorial on the native languages of the engine and how do they differ ? And how to interact with the operating system? e.g. display OS file device (folders, different files and different nesting levels) How to create plugins for my program?

oqgeoo875 | 2023-06-14 10:49