Developing Cartography for Simulated Land Navigation or Orienteering

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By trentonknight

Request to know what the best approach to developing a simulated Large 1:75,000 or 1:50,000 scaled map might be using GODOT. My goal would be to create a 3D world that allows the player to view a 2D map which is similar to real world USGS/NGA style maps using UTM/MGRS for land based navigation. Later I would add tools such as the Cammenga 6605-01-196-6971 Compass and a Maptools style protractor. I have spend hours searching for examples of GODOT developed games using maps similar to approaches used in Arma 3 and Firewatch. I would greatly appreciate any advice on techniques used with GODOT or other game engines to create a mapping system for players. Thank You!

I worked a bit with Map/GIS data. But mainly i imported data in Blender. Sometimes things were preprocessed in QGIS. My target was mainly to convert DSM/DTM data into some 3d heightmap/terrain. I did that in Blender, reduced the complexity of the mesh and then basically exported that as collada/dae into Godot.

Your problem looks more like displaying a 2D map. Maybe tiltable or similar in 3D. Websites normally use tiles to display big maps. So maybe you could go with a fixed number of plane meshes which textures get assigned the map tiles of the required zoom level and x/y. I know of no code examples for gdscript though. Maybe even the Tilemap class is somehow usable for that?

wombatstampede | 2019-06-19 09:48

Outstanding! Thank you wombatstampede . That gives me a solid strategy.

trentonknight | 2019-06-19 11:26

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: uriel

hi, i am in ! if you would like to collab to operate this strategy and dev the basic gis map/layers system… make a sign :wink: