Does Godot store any private details in your project files?

Godot Version

Question

I’m new to Godot and I’m wondering if any personal details belonging to the pc such as pc name, user folder name, pc specs or metadata and such stored within my project files since I want to share these files around with others

I don’t think so. It would be a major problem if it did. Plus, unless you specifically link to paths outside the resource folder, it probably would only get path references locally. But I’m not an expert on these things, so don’t share until somebody more experienced comes.

Generally no, and if it does that’s something to report as a bug, in the past some data has been accidentally stored like the path to the Godot executable, but the intention is to not do this

The project files are largely readable text files.
You can simply check for those sorts of details yourself if you’re interested in confirming.

1 Like

Note that the .godot might very well contain sensitive data but you shouldn’t put that in your repo or elsewhere

3 Likes

project.godot should be committed to version control, but the .godot folder should not (it only contains various caches and metadata).

Note that absolute paths may be stored in project.godot or export_presets.cfg if you use non-default values for some settings that expect a full path, but you can manually edit those to be relative paths (using the text field in the project settings/export dialog) and they’ll keep working.

3 Likes