Don't know where to start

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By anonymous

Hey,

Just a simple question
I am a normal human and i want to use Godot Engine but i do not know anything
I tried starting with engines like Buildbox and GDevelop but Godot is diffrent
What can i do?

Thanks a lot

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: tomeldee

There are a lot of tutorials on youtube, I started there as well.
And then I had some ideas, which I tried to create using previous tutorials and of course the official documentation and forums.

Try to think small first, just try to finish something really basic.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: tom555

Start by reading the engine documentation, there’s a section called Getting Started
that walks you through the basics of Godot and explains you how the node system works.

If I may, I would suggest you start learning Godot 3.x because there are plenty of good tutorials and material to learn. Godot 4.x has few of them right now. You can always jump into 4.x later.

Some resources:
https://kidscancode.org/godot_recipes/3.x/
https://kidscancode.org/godot_recipes/4.x/
For 3.x and 4.x respectively.

And of course the Godot docs page for learning resources:

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: godot_dev_

I started with the Dodge The Creeps tutorial to first get familiar with godot. Itmight help you too

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: DragoXing

Similar to what godot_dev_ and Tom555 said, those tutorials are invaluable! GDQuest is a great place to start, they have a website and YouTube offering both free and paid in-depth tutorials. There is also a few other Youtubers I’d to mention such as HeartBeast, Andrew Hoffman, NULL Game Dev, jmbiv, Arkeve, etc. Godot Engine also has plenty of useful built in functions and easy to access documentation with the “search help” near the top right of the editor, at the same time in the documentation they have links for other information like these: