Fixed Camera for Star Fox style arcade game

Godot Version

Question

Hey y’all, I’m very new to Godot and I’m working on a very basic Star Fox style arcade flight shooter. I figured out the controls, but for the life of me I’m having trouble finding a tutorial on how to create a camera for the game.

I need a camera that:

Follows the player at a fixed distance

Does not rotate with the player

Frames the player in an area (allows them to move to the edge of the screen)

Follows a path through a level

If anyone has any links to any tutorials or projects I could study it would be a great help. I’m looking forward to doing some work in this engine!

Make StarFox YT Series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGyWVeC9tYcAyZbd7vyO_ivY2-YoEPRsJ

of course, is Godot 3.x, but for inspiration :godot:

and this is other inspiration

Unfortunately each of the examples uses Godot 3. While they’re great for inspiration, there’s enough I don’t know about GDScript it makes it hard to translate their scripts. For example, the second video uses two different variables for velocity, but velocity is a built in function in GDScript 4.

my point was workflow, of course GDScript 4 is litlebit different

1 Like

This is exactly the kind of resource i was looking for, thanks for the link!

1 Like

Upon further review, it looks like this guide uses Godot 3 as the basis for it’s coding instructions. Unfortunately I’m back at square one.

Follows the player at a fixed distance · Does not rotate with the player · Frames the player in an area (allows them to move Core Ball to the edge of the … Hey guys~ In short I’m trying to create something of a StarFox clone, classic space rail shooter. I’ve already managed to track down this; … It’s a modern reboot of the classic, arcade -style sci-fi shooter — with a premise that feels sort of like Star Wars if Luke and Darth Vader …