How can I add .obj file as my Player

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Kouvostoliitto

Hi!
I have a Player in my game (I don’t know what node it is called but it has a running person as the icon. Sorry I’m a very beginner at Godot.) The Player has these following nodes: CollisionShape, BodyHinge (Spatial) and BodyMesh (MeshInstance) under the Spatial. So my question is: I have a .obj file and I want that file to be my Player/Players material or what you call it. Can someone tell me how it’s done?
Thank you!

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: ipdramon

Hi,

the node you mention is a KinematicBody3D (most likely).
The .obj file is your mesh as it contains all the vertices and faces your player character/model uses.
For you to use the mesh you should first select the “BodyMesh” node in your Scene. Then look at the inspector (should be on the right-hand side of the Godot Engine window). There is a property called “Mesh”. Drag and drop your .obj file into the dropdown and presto, you should see your mesh in the 3D view :slight_smile:
Beware that with this your mesh might just look like a white mannequin except when the .obj file contains the material data as well.
In this tutorial from the Godot docs they do the same just with another file format for 3D objects. I would recommend you to work through this as it thoroughly explains the basics for 3D game development with Godot.