How can I make my game weigh less

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By RubRub

My game weighs 200 mb but a youtuber told me that optimizing images would lower its weight but I don’t know how, please help

One way is to use Spritesheets instead of multitude of separate images

Inces | 2021-11-14 21:22

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Wakatta

Quality Vs Quantity

This is a common issue that all programmers will eventually face.
As a reference point the original GameBoyAdvance catridges could only hold up to 32MB and there are endless titles for it with industry defining quality.

They used compression type techniques for media such as audio, video and images
These days you can simply use a compression tool like 7zip to load unload during first time run.

200MB suggest a mobile platform so Lord yotuber is most likely referring to converting your media to lower quality sizes

Example

• Movie.3gp instead of Movie.4k.avi
  • Audio.wav or Audio.ogg instead of Audio.mp3
  • Image.svg or Image.jpg(lossless 800x600 instead of Image.png(2048x2048)

Infranview does a great job at shaving size and maintaining original quality and the same can be done with softwares like photoshop and the like.

But the question remains… do yo want to deminish the quality of your game to skim on a couple MB’s?

Thank you for your time and attention.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Babko

I would start worrying about your game’s size if it was actually to big. 200MB these days isn’t a lot, especially that probably 95% of targeted devices that your game is meant to be played on will have way way above that much free space left. But, if you want not to downgrade the quality of the assets, you can use lossless compression like .gz or .xz and uncompress assets when the game is played. However, it will make loading them longer and much more complicated.