How can i modify which Models are visible in the Camera and which are not.

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By toasterson

I have a VisualShader that emits light via Emission but the object gets culled from the Camera long before any other model so it’s not visible while objects behind still are.

How can I make that glowing torpedo show up like it should?

Screenshot showing how it shows in the editor and not in the camera preview

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Zylann

the object gets culled from the Camera long before any other model so it’s not visible while objects behind still are

I don’t think your object is culled. I believe your object is actually so tiny at that distance that it hits the issue of “glow aliasing”: because the object occupies so few pixels, the glow buffer doesn’t pick it up because it is based on a blurring technique.
If that is the case, then either you need to make it bigger, or you need to use a different technique than glow in the distance, like maybe an additive billboard with precalculated halo of light?

If that is not the case, I dont see why your object would be culled so early. Doesnt make much sense. Maybe the only thing I can think of is the cull masks of your object and the camera?

I don’t know much of the engine but that sounds more likely.

With ‘like maybe an additive billboard with precalculated halo of light’ You mean a shader that does that? Or a particle? How would I do that?

The Goal for the Torpedoes/Missiles is to be glowing or have an Icon on the strategic overview, as the main Battles are going to be missile based. I want to create the feeling of a swarm coming in and one can see it being thinned out by the defenses. It’s ok if they only glow in the local area of the ship.

toasterson | 2022-02-14 14:10

For a halo you could use a Sprite3D or a MeshInstance with a material in billboard mode, or could also work with particles.

Zylann | 2022-02-14 20:53