How to emit particles at the parent node's velocity

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Insignificant

I am trying to make some particles (thruster smoke) emit with the same velocity of my parent node (a spaceship), using a Particle2D node.

I’ve figured out how to emit the particles at different velocities with local_coords turned off, but that doesn’t enable me to emit the particles at an everchanging velocity value.

I’ve looked at the documentation and found that there seems to be no way of setting the velocity through script, so I’m now just curious if it’s an option.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Gluon

Yes particles have two speed options, one is an initial velocity setting. This is calculated in pixels per second and as long as you have no other physics affecting the particle like gravity then they will just travel with that speed. The other is a speed setting but this is calculated on a scale of 0 to 1 so a setting of 0.5 would be half of the maximum so you would need to calculate what setting you would want if you use this option.

Documentation is here

https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_particles2d.html?highlight=speed