How to make "Tank Trucks" animation

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Ironsx

Hi all!

I have modeled a Tank in Blender. For its trucks I have used a cube and ‘Array’ and ‘Curve’ Transformations using a Bezier Curve.

When I animate these in blender it works fine using the Y Location transform, the tank move forward and the trucks move in realistic way, but when I try to export it to Godot, this animation doesn’t run…

Someone knows something about this? I don’t know if I have to make the animation in Blender and Export it somehow, or if this animation should be done in Godot directly.

I’m pretty lost, I’ve seen a lot of tutorials but none of them finish exporting the result to Godot.

Thank you very much in advance and greetings!

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: MysteryGM

The trick you want to use has to be replicated inside of Godot. No engine (including Unity or Unreal) has this kind of thing already made for you. It is very special purpose kind of thing.

You will need to do it in Godot.
You will need to make a curve (or path). Then attach instances to it (like the Blender array) and finally you will need to attach a code that moves the instances along the curve.
Not difficult but still a time consuming task.

You can try it with physics joints.
This is easier but will eat into your games performance a lot, because of the amount of physics objects.

The easy way is to use textures, but these don’t look as good as curves.

The last way is to use bone animation.
In Blender use bones instead of cubes. Use the array to make the bones and then animate them.
Every 10 frames capture the location of the bones.
Then delete the rig, test to see of the bones is animating correctly.
Finally merge all the bones into one rig, attach a cube to every bone.

I have used all the methods above in other engines. They work.

Thank you so much for the answer.
I will try to use these methods and learn with practice.

Regards!

Ironsx | 2018-09-13 07:28