Is there a way to default folder and file names to start with a capital letter?

Godot Version

v4.2.1

Question

I’m very new to Godot, but not programming in general. I was just curious if there was a way in the editor to have Godot default the names of files and folders to begin with a capital letter instead of lowercase. It looks like that’s common for gdscript, but in C# having classes start with lower case names is a no no. It’s not a ton of work obviously to just change it myself, but would be nice if I didn’t have to.

you planned to use this all Capital first then non capital sorting style for just editor view, or you will touch it from code script too for your game?

Code script as well. If I create a new scene and call it Level. When I create a new folder and go to save the scene inside that folder the default name will be level.tscn.

So there I have to change it to Level.tscn. Otherwise when I go to create a C# script it will also default that name to level.cs. Which will give me public partial class level : Node2D

If I instead name it Level.tscn, it will default the name of the script to Level.cs. Which is what I would want, I was just curious if there was a way to default the scene name to start with a capital letter.

unfortunately, that’s how the default works for godot, by changing it to snake_case for files. it’s specifically made for following gdscript naming convention GDScript style guide — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English. if the godot c# you downloaded doesnt follow c# naming convention when trying to make new scene, etc, then you can make a request/issue for godot C# to follow PascalCase like mentioned here C# style guide — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English

which someone already made the issue here: Make C# script names default to PascalCase in the "attach new script" popup · Issue #5956 · godotengine/godot-proposals · GitHub
but only said to be for attaching new script

1 Like

Ah dang I thought that might be the case. I was just hoping I was missing an option somewhere in the editor. It’s only a minor annoyance so it’s not the end of the world. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Actually, you can change the naming convention for how scenes are saved.

Project > Project Settings > Editor > Naming > Scene Name Casing

1 Like

Oh really that’s amazing! I’ll have to do that when I get on later tonight. Thanks a bunch!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.