Label3D looks grainy

Godot Version

Question

I’m trying to use a Label3D to display some text on cards. Problem is, it looks grainy. In fact, the whole thing looks grainy, kind of badly anti-aliased. I’ve done some fiddling with settings and it does look better than the default, but it’s still not great. It might actually be the camera, but I’m not sure what settings to change to help that. Any advice?

screenshot

That does help a bit, and I basically have it set as the smallest pixel size and just increase the font size to the moon in order to make it look better, but it’s still not great unless you’re zoomed in a lot. Is that just going to be how it is for a label3d? I’d love for it to be as clear as other text on the screen, but I don’t see a good way to do that.

Thanks! I think I’ve got it about as good as it’s going to get. I think my expectations of clarity might be a little too high for the size I’m trying to make the text. It’s still readable, I think it’ll be alright.

I mean to get the visual effect I was hoping for yeah. Idk maybe I could try a viewport paired with a normal label? I’ll give it a shot.

This will look the same, if not worse :slight_smile:

If you want optimal text clarity, use MSDF font rendering for the font used in the Label3D node, enable mipmaps on the font in the Import dock or enable fixed size on the Label3D (so it’s always at a readable size regardless of distance).

yeah the viewport was overcomplicated and looked worse. I enabled MSDF and mipmaps, but it didn’t make a noticeable difference. That’s ok though, I think it’ll be good enough at this point.