Little Bit o' Feedback

So, I was just working on my first game with Godot 4.2.1, first game in general, and 4th engine in general! Since this was the second engine that actually ran for me, and since Unreal has lackluster support for true 2D games, this engine has proven to be the best option for me. Along the way, I’ve come to really enjoy certain aspects of it, and just wanted to have a sort-of rant to express my gratitude and fulfillment through the process, so far.

First off, I was told that since this engine is open source and rather new, that support for it would be hard to find. In truth, the community here responds quickly when help is needed, there are several tutorials on YouTube for generally any question that I might have, and ChatGPT, while still a little derpy about it, often provides helpful feedback on my dumber, first-time dev questions or things that I just plumb forgot about (How do I make X happen, again?) So, all in all, support is much better than I was warned about, even if it’s not a “one and done” situation, it’s still really easy not only to find answers to any questions I have, but also to learn right in the engine! I mean, the autocomplete feature while typing in GDscript can be a bit annoying when I already know what I’m trying to do, but it’s hard to fault a feature that encourages me to say “Oh, what happens if I do this?”

Generally, Godot is really good about that. The Interface feature has a lot of options, even if some of them aren’t apparent at first. Need a font to be a different color? It’s there, you just gotta be willing to look around and try things out. The Node branch is really convenient (and awesome) for quickly setting flags or events. Okay, so pressing the button and connecting it to where you need isn’t going to instantly say “do X if Y occurs”, but it does instantiate the “if Y occurs” bit, and you’ll find it easy to figure out the X you need done and how to implement it. Creating new nodes for exactly what you need is, actually, insanely easy once you figure it out. The hardest bit is that first step, figuring out what you need for a parent scene, but it’s a hurdle that, once hopped, opens the door to using Godot in it’s fullest extent, at least UI speaking, and for that, I have to commend the engine!

Going deeper into the scripting aspect, my goodness, it’s everything I could ever ask for. GDscript is so easy to code with, and the results look close enough to actual English that I could probably tell you what any one script does just by reading it. Global scripts are a necessity, but in this engine, necessities don’t bring the same headache as they do in other engines. In this case, a necessity is less of a life preserver, and more of a full-blown yacht. Once you get the whole “global script” thing down, it becomes the backbone for getting different scenes to communicate, and for those scenes to be able to update the global in order to get some truly amazing results in-game. I know this is going to sound pretty basic to a lot of dev vets out there, but honestly, figuring out that I can use a scene to let players customize features in this game, update it to the global, and then enact those customizations into any scene where they’re necessary is an amazing feeling. I feel like a spider, my game is a glorious web I’m spinning which will trap gamers forever with how entertained they’ll be (at least I hope!) Learning how to get what you want done is honestly pretty easy, and it takes much less time than I thought to become ingrained into the different functions I want done. Unreal’s system of placing actors, setting up different enums and the like, seemed like a good, compartmentalized way of doing things, at first, but after working with this engine, I much, much prefer Godot’s ways of doing things. It may seem a bit chaotic at first, but in reality, everything feels more interconnected, and I feel like I’m learning a lot more by being able to “get in there” and really work the code, rather than interact with one object, hop somewhere else to change features there, and then jump to another compartment to change other things. With Godot, my game is feeling less like a prefabricated building with different boxes making up the layout, and a lot more like an interweaving web of different threads interacting to make a really strong foundation for my game.

So yeah, this is pretty much me gushing over the engine, and my enjoyment with it. I hope it isn’t too off-topic from what’s normally posted, but of course I can always take it down (or have it taken down) if need be. Thank you to anyone who actually sat down and read this, and to the people out there working on this engine, thank you so very much. This engine is a true work of art, and every day I get progress done on my game, I fall further in love with the engine as a whole, and can’t wait to see it’s splash screen on my first, second, and beyond games.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for these kind words! :blue_heart:

You actually reminded me of my own first steps I took in Godot. It really is inviting to just look around and try different things until you find what you were looking for. Or until you find something else that you were not looking for, but is cool anyway haha :grin:

Not at all! It is always appreciated to post topics like this.
(I’ll just move it to the General category, since this one is for feedback about the forum, not the engine)

1 Like

Aww, thank you for scooting it over, for me! I wasn’t sure which area would be best to put it, so thank you for the answer, in addition!

This really is a fun engine to just sit down and explore with. It definitely makes me wonder how many years of development it would take to figure out every single thing you can do, here! I absolutely love it.

1 Like