Massive Performance Issues on Android

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By TobiLa

Hey,
we are planning a new project and I am currently deciding if we want to use Godot or Unity for this.
Since the game will be published on Android and iOS I want to evaluate what performance Godot can achieve.

I am using 3.0.2 stable and made a basic scene with a few basic 3D MeshInstances and a directional light.
I have two Android devices here for testing:

• Samsung Galaxy J5 Duos 2017
    • 30-40 FPS
  • Oukitel K6000 Pro
    • 10-20 FPS

I have no animations, no physics, no camera movement, no scripts implemented yet, just a few basic objects and I have already massive frame drops on smartphones I have played 3D Games before. Those were much more complex than my scene, so performance of my devices shouldn’t be the problem.
Is it just me or is this the current state of godot? Are you expecting performance improvements with 3.1 and OpenGL2 support?

If you want to reproduce, here is my project:

Thanks in advance

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: volzhs

There is an article about this.

in short, Juan expected OpenGL ES 3.0 would cover both desktop and mobile.
but on mobile, it’s not good enough than expected.

so, Godot 3.1 will have GLES 2.0 renderer to take cover for mobile.
I’m expecting performance improvement with 3.1 for mobile with GLES 2.0.
and 3.1 should make it happen.

Does that mean the mobile performance of 3.1 will be comperable to the performance of godot 2?

TobiLa | 2018-04-26 15:39

I’m not sure.
but AFAIK, the person who makes gles 2.0 renderer backend for Godot 3.1 is trying to make it better than 2.x.
probably there will be a PR merge for gles 2.0 renderder on master branch.
I personally am expecting it too.

volzhs | 2018-04-26 15:42