Migrated to Linux, project created on WIndows hs some errors in Linux - end of file etc

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By davidpwbrown

I suspect this is how line-endings are encoded on Windows, causing problems when I run Godot on Linux?
Project was created on Godot 3 under Windows
Opening it under Linux Godot 3 - some scenes open fine, others get parse error - unexpected end of file.

I have tried to use a Linux utility dos2unix to try and change the line-endings of the tscn files but tht hasnt seemed to work.

Any ideas?

Can you share the project? What linux distro are you using?

p7f | 2019-01-03 15:40

Lubuntu 18.10

https://github.com/davidpwbrown/Spacegamev2

Using Godot 3 alpha

( was created on Windows Godot 3 alpha also - last worked on it a few months ago )

Example of scene that causes error and can’t be edited - is /scenes/landedmenu.tscn

example of one that works is Main.tscn ( if references to preloading landedmenu is commented out) , startscreen.tscn etc

davidpwbrown | 2019-01-03 16:10

i’ll try it now

p7f | 2019-01-03 16:27

landmenu.tscn looks corrupted. Are you sure it still works on windows? can you clone the full repo again on windows machine and try there?

p7f | 2019-01-03 17:04

Booting into Windows feels dirty, but if its generally corrupted on both platforms, that would explain it, and it;d be fairly simple to recreate the scene. I shall try that, Thanks.

davidpwbrown | 2019-01-03 17:10

i hope you solve the problem. If you do, please post an answer so other see it’s solved!

p7f | 2019-01-03 17:22

Yep it fails to open on WIndows too, Perhaps some kind of version mismatch with the Godot alpha version I used/now use.
I will investigate further and try some older builds.
Thanks for your help, it certainly clarified it wasn’t a general Windows to Linux file error.

davidpwbrown | 2019-01-03 17:23

You are welcome! can you post an answer so it does not remain unsolved? or would you prefer me to post it?

p7f | 2019-01-03 17:40

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: davidpwbrown

Appears to be version mismatch - after not working on it for a few months and losing track of what nightly or alpha build I used - after I re-create the nodes with parse errors, that I thought were windows line-endings problems - there are functions that seemed to have changed names in the intervening times also.

It will require me to read up on engine changes and re-write some code, - dangers of using alpha/nightly builds !

Further detail - specifically the nodes that had errors were ones that referenced a sub-resource type “simplexnoise”
which now appears to be referred to as resource type “opensimplexnoise”

davidpwbrown | 2019-01-03 17:50

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: putskan

A bit late, but for other people facing the problem -
I’ve got the same error, though not on migration.

I figured out that there was a dependancy issue - I’ve removed an attached resource, yet it still existed on the scene file as a reference from some reason.

Fix: open the corrupted file in a text editor, delete:

  1. The relevant “ext_resource” at the beginning of the file.
  2. The related node section at the middle/end of the file.

Just make sure to back things up before doing so.