Purpose of spinning wheel in top-right corner of IDE and how to hide it

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By breakmt

Hello. I have a question about that spinning wheel in top-right corner of IDE.

1. Why do I need to see it? As I understand it moves when something reneders to screen… So what? Why this information may be imporant for me?

2. How to hide it?

Thanks!

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: lulu
  1. It’s most likely useless
  2. Click on it → Disable Update Spinner
:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Zylann

It’s not useless, it indicates when the editor redraws the whole window.
When it spins fast constantly, that means the editor is refreshing at 60 frames per seconds, which can be as costy as running a game (check your CPU/GPU monitor).

By default, it doesn’t spins that fast because the editor only redraws when necessary, effectively reducing running cost, which is good on laptops.
But if for some reason you need full performance, you can click on it and check “update always”, even though devs are planning to make “update changes” the defaults and prevent users from changing it, because ideally, changing that setting is not supposed to change anything in terms of usage.

And indeed you can hide it with “Disable Update Spinner”.

I said ideally… but the real world is a mess:
This spinner mattered for me for a while, because my nVidia graphics driver is not good at bumping up the clocks when Godot starts refreshing after a short time spent idle. This caused me painful slowdown on the whole interface, feeling like the editor was generally laggy. So I relied on changing this spinner option to “update always” for times where I needed smooth interface.
I then later realized this problem affects many nVidia drivers, on Windows, which is fixable by forcing clocks to max for godot.exe in the nVidia control panel. That’s not ideal though, because it goes against the initial goal of the spinner, which was to reduce power consumption. More details about this: The editor is less responsive when set to "update only changes" · Issue #11030 · godotengine/godot · GitHub

If this doesnt affect you then you can ignore this, but I’ll leave it here just in case :wink:

Thank you for such a big answer, it was usefull. I think I can’t evaluate this functionallity cause I’m planning to use 2D only, game with simple pixel graphics. Maybe it is usefull fo 3D or bigger projects… I’m glad that I can disable it, I just don’t want something spin around in front of my eyes :slight_smile:

breakmt | 2018-04-06 19:00