Sidebar is too big

The content within sidebar is 2 words max (e.g. “My Posts”, or “Showcase”) and there is a lot of empty space. Like, 1/3rd of the sidebar is empty, could even fit advertisements there

I suggest reducing --d-sidebar-width from 17em to 11em (12em if you want to be generous in space)

Example of 11em below

1 Like

sounds good to me, but this will need a bit of testing to make sure we don’t break anything in Discourses responsive layout

2 Likes

It should use icons instead of color dots too. So you can click on collapse button above and yet see the icons of the categories, meaning more space.

I don’t think we can easily do that with the theming options given by discourse

1 Like

I don’t find it so bad being at 17 rem. You can hide it. But would be good to have it 11 also. And yes, I think icons would be better off than just dots.

I’d like more opinions. So far some like the current layout, some want a smaller sidebar. I won’t have time before January to work on this either way, so it would be good to get some opinions until then.

Is there any possibility to open a thread taking suggestions until January or would it be too much of a hassle?

I’m not sure I’m understanding your question. You can add any ideas/opinions regarding the sidebar size in this thread, and for everything else you can create your own thread in Site Feedback