Start MovieMaker programatically?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By JoshuwayMorris

Hey there!

Looking into moving to Godot from Unity.

A project I am currently working lets a player walk around a scene. The player movement is captured and stored in an Array.

The player can then press a replay button, and the array that captured the movement is iterated through, creating the impression of replaying the player movement.

What I would like to do is capture what the camera on the scene sees as a video file. This does not have to be in real time.

Is it possible to start the new MovieMaker feature from a script to capture this player movement replay, then stop MovieMaker once the replay has finished?

Thanks!

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: jgodfrey

I’ve not used it, but I’d guess you’re looking for the MovieWriter class…

Thank you for your reply!

I did find the MovieWriter class, but wasn’t sure how I would instantiate this class within a Godot script.

I don’t suppose you have any examples of how I could do this?

I.e. imagine I have a button that says “Record” that when clicked instantiates the “MovieWriter” class and starts recording.

As mentioned, I do not need this to be “real-time”, as I am happy for the player to be notified that the video will take time to build.

Thank you!

JoshuwayMorris | 2023-04-10 19:40