Starting Godot only launches a demo game; how can I exit this and get back to the launcher?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By C_Lars

Every time I launch Godot, it immediately goes straight into gameplay of an example game I downloaded.
The only way I can seem to exit this game “test”/demo is with Alt + F4, which indeed exits the game, but I can’t figure out how to get back to the Godot Launcher or editor. Subsequent launches of Godot just open the game back up again :confused:

I am on Arch Linux, and have Godot v4.0.2.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, not sure what I’m doing wrong here.

How exactly are you launching Godot? I assume whatever mechanism you’re using must be passing command line args into the engine to cause it to start up some demo project.

Or, you may be launching the game itself instead of the engine. Can you see the details of the link / shortcut / command you’re launching? That’d be helpful.

jgodfrey | 2023-04-27 19:46

Thanks for the reply!

I am launching it through the Menu shortcut created when I installed Godot via Pacman.
However, I have also tried launching it from the command line by just typing “godot,” with the same result.

I’m really scratching my head over this; it’s such a strange behavior.

Edit: I also just checked the details of the Menu shortcut; it runs the command: godot %f
However, I am not sure if this is relevant since I get the same behavior launching from the CLI with just godot

C_Lars | 2023-04-27 20:17