The Last Craftsman - A Mechanical Life Sim

Hello everyone! I’m AuraTummyache and I made a game called The Last Craftsman.

Where To Play

Steam: The Last Craftsman on Steam
Itch (Old Alpha): The Last Craftsman by Tummyache, Robot Girlfriend

About

I worked as a freelance web developer through the pandemic and work REALLY started to slow down at the end of 2021. I was learning Godot just to help a friend figure it out and before I knew it, I had a whole game.

It’s mostly a solo project, with some royalty free sound effects, and music made by a friend of mine. TLC is obviously inspired by Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, but it also takes some stuff from Factorio and has a lot of its own unique mechanics.

I’m just about done with a new update, so I thought it was as good a time as any to start a little dev log. I originally had one on TIGSource, but the site feels kind of dead now.

16 Likes

Released my update, about 9 months of hard work finally finished.

Now I slumber… in preparation for the next update.

3 Likes

A LOT of new changes coming down the pipe. Since releasing the Livestock Update, I’ve been working on the visual presentation of the game.

To start the process off, I decided to brush up my pixel art skills by doing a little challenge. I drew one portrait a day for the month of January from people on TikTok, Reddit, and Twitter. It was pretty fun but also got really tiring after a while. Turns out forcing yourself to draw for an hour every single day is really draining. You can watch the full compilation here.

All that work paid off in the end, because I did get a lot better at drawing and solidified a lot of stylistic changes I wanted to make. So I took all the things I learned from January and updated all the portraits in the game.

Then I went and updated the player sprite because I’ve always thought it looked a little janky. The original structure for it was also really bad, so adding new clothing and character customization options is FAR easier than it was.

OldWalkNewWalk

Recently, I’ve been doing a lot of environmental work so the world feels more alive. Adding more depth and volume to the grass, new doodads around that players can interact with, and animated tile sets.

Progress

GrassAnim

Really happy with where things are ending up. It’s been really satisfying to go back and fix the early artwork.

2 Likes

Realling interesting seeing how it evolved between 2022 to now. Looks really cool. Punch card dungeon battles, has me instantly sold.

2 Likes

Thanks, I get a little discouraged as it develops because sales have been slow. But comments like this help me out. The current Farming Sale on Steam has also brought in a few new players, and it’s been nice chatting with them about the game.

Awesome project!

Your pixel art is getting better and better. You can really see the improvements.

Consider making some devlogs on YouTube for the game. It could help expand your audience, and I’d definitely be interested in checking those out.

1 Like