What are the differences and advantages between built-in and external resources in Godot?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By neonwarge04

So I have been reading this from the docs: Resources — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English and notice it mention we can have two types of resources, External and built-in.

The only difference I can see is when it saves the file, I can see some differences in the tscn like on external it it has the [external] snippet vs on builtin it uses load_path

but other than that how does this impact the project? What does it mean to have something load built-in vs external? What is recommended here and what is the advantage of using either?

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Gluon

External means it is pointing to another file, usually a .png or .jpeg or .wav but a built in means that the .tscn has incorporated all of the details of the other file as part of the scene. I have only ever used external to be honest but the only difference I can think is that if you use the same file for multiple scenes then using internal would make your game file larger. Its possible that built in would be more processor efficient but I have never seen any issues with this using external files anyway.