Why is so much RAM needed for loading game?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By bribat123

In our game the total size of all assets loaded into the 2D game(textures, music) is 62MB. However when the game is launched and the first level is loaded it takes up over 450MB in RAM. Why is this?

I took a look at the Debugging/Monitors to try to analyze RAM usage and the amounts shown in the Monitors is much less than the amount of RAM being used.

We discovered that testers who had less than 450MB of RAM available on their phones were not able to launch the game. Please tell us how we can fix this issue.

This could be due to the engine setting itself up, and so it has to take up more RAM.

Ertain | 2020-06-03 23:44

What is the minimum amount of RAM that is needed by the engine? I tried to find this answer in searching the forum but could not find it.

bribat123 | 2020-06-03 23:58

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the minimum RAM requirement, either. :-/ What I did find, though, was this guide which helps with removing extra modules in the engine. While it’s aimed at reducing the size of the final binary, it may help if your game doesn’t use many features of the engine.

Ertain | 2020-06-06 06:45