2D Game Design Question?

Hi all,

I am doing a course for Godot 4 with Udemy, for a 2D platformer, not really having a problem with the course, though it is a very dense and not explained very well, but, I have experience with other game engines. Like there was just a chapter on a terrain/tilemaps and I still don’t know how it works it just does - really well in fact, you don’t need to go an pick individual tiles you just draw and Godot picks the right tile!?!?! Don’t know if I could recreate this on my own or what sort of tileset you need to make it work.

But, now, I am up to creating a game camera. Up to this point, I just attached the camera to the player, easy and quick set the zoom and there you go, done. But in this course, it is focusing on NO movement in the Y direction because it can cause motion sickness. Now, I have never heard of motion sickness because of movement in the Y direction. Is this a thing? And while I recognise that there should be restrictions in the Y direction with a platformer having no motion at all greatly reduces what you can do in the game onscreen and exploration.

What do you think?
Motion sickness, yes or no?
Movement in the Y direction, yes or no?

Regards.

Sorry but I can`t understand your question properly, what do you want to say?

It’s definitely my first time hearing about potential motionsickness in a 2D game! That said, I doubt they would have added something like that to the course if it didn’t happen to at least some people, although I’d definitely like to learn more about what could potentially trigger that!

But as for the second part, I think that there are definitely times where camera movement in the Y direction would be detrimental to a game. I know it’s kinda an old example, but I don’t think many people would claim that Super Mario Bros would be a better game if the camera tracked mario as he jumped between different levels of platforms.

If you do want to have levels that don’t just follow a single straight line, though, I wonder if you could put the camera on a track (i.e. follow a set path, but match speed with the player)? That way, you could turn “corners” and change directions with less of the nauseating swinging of the camera each time the player jumps.

1 Like

I thought I was being as clear as I could.

1. Have you ever heard about motion-sickness in a 2D platform game because of y direction movement? I certainly haven’t and I grew up in the era were 2D games. I have heard of cases of motion-sickness in VR games.

2. Do you think that a lack of movement in the Y axis could be construed as being better or worse for a game? I always thought that the ability to up/down in a level to fully explore everywhere was the way to go, but, maybe I am wrong my favourite game is angry birds and that is usually only 1 screen high, though there is a zoom to pull back if it goes a little higher.

2 Likes

Vertical shooters have an entire genre, and countless (*) 2D platformers include vertical movement! It sounds like it’s someones opinion stated as a fact. I’ve been gaming since the early 80’s and developing since 1996 (including 20 years as a designer for AAA studios - 3D games though) and I’ve never heard such a thing!

(*)
Rainbow Islands
Rastan
Rygar
The NewZealand Story
Terraria
Sonic
… the list is endless!

Personally, I agree with you that opening a game up in the Y axis provides a lot more immersion, allowing for greater opportunities to explore and making the game more interesting! But it’s all down to personal preference and what you’re trying to achieve, I guess :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. No, its not, in 2d platformer games, the y direction acts as gravity and jump velocity
  2. Lack of movement in the Y axis could be better or worse for some specific game like sokoban, its player move as grid-based. But lack of movement in the Y axis could be worse for platformer games
1 Like

Oh my goodness, I had totally forgot about those. I spent many hours at arcades playing 1942 and Xevious, two great games for me.

2 Likes