Cozy Space Survivors šŸš€

Hi lovely people! :two_hearts:

Iā€™m Simon and I work on a cozy survivors-like in space. There are quests and one of them includes NPCs you should be familiar with :slight_smile:

57_go_dot

PLAY RIGHT NOW!

436h - Time Breakdown

Iā€™m using the ProcrastiTracker to capture the invested time. Here is a rough breakdown of how I spend my time so far on the project.

Godot..............................320:16:00
Blender.............................26:45:00
Piskel..............................28:18:00
Firefox (Tutorials)..................5:24:00
Search sounds (Soundly/Zapsplat).....2:35:00
Mix/Export Sounds(Audacity)..........0:53:00
Translation (Modern CSV).............4:20:00
Playing/Testing.....................47:43:00
============================================
Total                              436:14:00

Trailer

37 Likes

Iā€™m sold ahaha

9 Likes

This will hopefully bring France together in Unity and end the debate once and for all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I did play this game a few days ago and it didnā€™t quite clickā€¦ While the concept is cool, it doesnā€™t feel quite cozy with constant enemy waves and so much focus on weapon upgrades. If I had taken on this idea I would have focused way more on the way the ship moves and the quests than on the passive combat. Passive combat is fine, but it stops being cozy when thereā€™s hordes. Time limits are also the opposite of cozy imo.

2 Likes

Thank you or the feedback! I understand what you mean, and I had doubts about that too. But I was reassured a bit when listening to a podcast where some people talk about (cozy) indie games and one was speaking about her time with Vampire Survivors and how it felt cozy to her in the sense that she could relax, stop thinking and just enjoying the flow (and maybe listening to a podcast on the side).
In my case, the cozy refers more to the cute enemies/npcs, funny weapons (#banana-thrower) and I will try to balance it in a way, that the time limit is not building pressure. By the way: One change I did to make it less strict: Quest progress is saved. This means you donā€™t have to complete all quests in one session.

In any case, thanks again for taking the time to play my little game and writing feedback. Thatā€™s great! <3

Ah, that makes sense. If thereā€™s progress between runs then the time limit doesnā€™t make you lose something that took time to acquire. And about the enemy amount, maybe itā€™s just a balance thing, but it felt more overwhelming than VS ever did. Possibly because you also use smaller numbers, so getting hit matters more.

Thatā€™s good feedback! I will keep an eye on the enemy-amount (Iā€™m already ā€˜blindā€™ when it comes to these things). You also keep all the chocolate gathered through mining the chocolate-asteroids - even when you lose.
About the time limit: What I personally like about it (also in VS or the [for me] even better Halls of Torment: It tells you beforehand, how long your game session will be. I really like that because it reduces the barrier of ā€œShould I even start the gameā€¦maybe Iā€™ll end up playing 2h, and then itā€™s 3amā€. I chose an even shorter time limit (10 instead of 30 minutes) to give people something quick to play, which can even happen in a little lunch break or whenever thereā€™s no time for a ā€œrealā€ game: :smiley:

Added Fullscreen Mode.

Play in Browser: Cozy Space Survivors Web by simonschreibt

77_fullscreen_mode

2 Likes

Loved the game! Just stopped to work on my project, but I will play it later!

1 Like

Thank you!

For the Moo-Moos! :crossed_swords:

1 Like

I didnā€™t get very far, but the game is a lot of fun ! Itā€™s nice to see those creative and so well polished games from Godot creators, motivate me to work on my game. GG!

Oh, I hope it was not too difficult. I need to work on the balancing! Should be a nice experience and not frustrating.

Oh no no worries, just didā€™t had the time to play it properly, it was on a brower on my laptop. Iā€™ll definitly give it a try later. Added it on my whishlist, iā€™m looking forward to see the final product !

1 Like

New UI :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your lightning effect looks awesome! Any suggestions on how to implement it? Would highly appreciate it :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Thank you! The lightning is mainly these two flip books (additive blend mode) and some sparkles and a bright flash at the beginning of the explosion. :slight_smile:

fx_lightning_nova_32x32_01
fx_lightning_24x24_01

Thatā€™s brilliant! Thank you very much for explanation!

1 Like

Hallo Simon,
your game looks nice. The new UI is more consistent, matching the style of the game.

I think the language icon should be removed. There is no need for it and it looks very technical not suitable for an user UI in a game.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding the language icon: It might be a bit overthinking on my side, but there are people who donā€™t understand the word ā€œlanguageā€. For those, this universal language icon was invented, and I really like the idea of offering the possibility for everyone to find the place to change the language easily even if you donā€™t understand the words ā€œlanguageā€ nor ā€œEnglishā€. This icon will guide you and I will also put the language in the drop-down in the original form, e.g. ā€œäø­ę–‡ā€ instead of ā€œChineseā€, so that everyone can find their language easily.

As I said: I might overthink this, but I want it as inclusive as possible. Even though itā€™s a bit weird that this is the only icon which doesnā€™t fit to the pixel-art-style - but I tried making it low-res, and then it was not really recognizable anymore. :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice game! Did you use Godot 3 or already version 4?

I have tried the web version, under options I see label ā€œVideoā€ but no controls, will it come later or are the controls hidden in the web version?

1 Like