Do you use C# or GDscript

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Tryt

I have a question as a young person that wants to start their journey with programming should i use a C# or GDscript for programming in godot.

Regards

Just like jgodfrey’s answer, I’ve been a professional developer for decades and used C# for other apps for several years now. However, in Godot I’ve never come across a need to use C#. GDScript does everything and very simply.

SteveSmith | 2022-11-23 08:29

Just like SteveSmith’s comment also extremely familiar with all C family languages (Object-C, C++, C#) and yet for some reason have only ever used GDScript with Godot.

While there are more or less some things you can’t do in GDScript you’ll have more ease learning it as it’s a great entry way into programming as jgodfrey’s said.

The devs made the correct choice with GDScript (over lua or python) and you will too as C# in Godot seems to be more of a barter tactic for users migrating from other Engines or Dev Kits.

Wakatta | 2022-11-23 17:30

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: jgodfrey

It probably depends on your long-term goals. If you’re just starting out and only intend to work with Godot, then I’d recommend gdscript. It has a lower entry bar than C# (IMO) and is really easy to get the hang of.

On the other hand, if your goals include eventually branching out beyond Godot - either with other game engines or even other programming domains, C# skills will be much more transferrable (though, gdscript is very Python-like).

In my case, I had years of professional C# experience prior to coming to Godot and still chose to start with gdscript (while better support for C# was still being implemented in Godot). Honestly, I was really skeptical of gdscript in the beginning and assumed I’d quickly move back to C# when support became better. And, I’m still working in gdscript to this day (multiple years later). To my surprise, I just really like gdscript. :slight_smile:

And, there’s nothing preventing you from learning / using both languages. Once you start thinking like a programmer, learning new languages, and leveraging them when appropriate, is relatively easy…