Do you use setters and getters?

Hi!
What code would you use in your work?

var new_position = Vector2(100, 100)
position += step

or

var new_position = Vector2(100, 100)
set_position(get_position() + step)

Of course, this example is a bit strange, but I wanted to know if you use setters and getters to work with variables? And do you create your own in your functions?

I think some of the answer depends on your environment. If you work alone then you can do whatever you like and if you are part of a team then you should follow the agreed code standards.

Personally I rarely use setters and getters but I think I should use them more often. I start with just changing the variable value directly and only implement a set/get if I need to trigger some extra actions that are not handled elsewhere.

In your example of e.g. changing a player position then I wouldn’t use a setter because extra considerations like running into a wall or an enemy would be handled by the physics or collision code. There’s nothing more for you to do here so let that other code handle it.

If I were changing the player.health variable then I probably would implement a setter because if my player’s health reaches a certain value then I might want to change to the image to wounded (that’s probably in the same code scope) or emit a signal to some other code scope like updating the game dashboard.

I tend to create named functions for some of these things e.g. player.UpdateHealth(newvalue) but I think my own code discipline would be better if these were wisely named variables with setter/getter structures then I could refer to the property/variable directly and let the player code file worry about any extra stuff.

2 Likes

I use them when I have to.

For example, a health variable should not be less than zero so I’ll use:

var health: int: 
	set(value): health = maxi(0, value)
1 Like

Use them for classes that share the exact same data.

class_name Database

static var Character_List = { "Adam" : CharData, "Eve" : CharData }
class_name Character extends Node

@export var Character_ID : String

var Character : CharData :
	get : return Database.Character_List[Character_ID ]
	set(value) : Database.Character_List[Character_ID ] = value

func Increase_Strength():
	Character.Strength += 10
	pass

1 Like

I often work in teams, so I try to avoid public properties and use private variables as much as possible, which means I work a lot with setters / getters to have better control over the variables.

There are also property getters / setters as mentioned by GameDevGeezer:

Although they seem handy, I usually avoid them because they introduce unexpected behavior to others who may expect simple assignments, especially for public properties.

My rule of thumb is:

• use getters and setters for property access from outside the class (public)
  • use setters for property access from within the class (private) only if I want side effects or validation (e.g. clamp the result), otherwise simple assignments

Sometimes I also use a function for handling relative changes as wrapper for the setter , e.g.:

signal health_changed
var _health: float = 5.0
var _max_health: float = 10.0

func set_health(new_health: float) -> void:
   _health = clamp(new_health, 0.0, _max_health)
   health_changed.emit()

func change_health(change_amount: float) -> void:
   set_health(_health + change_amount)

In the end, the question of when to use setters/getters often boils down to personal preference, I’ve seen a lot of people just use assignments (or property setters/getters) for this stuff, and not care about access. This probably also depends on how complex your project is

1 Like