Does a level editor addon sound useful?

I recently started work on a 2d level editor addon for godot, its main features are:

• Automatically dividing the level into chunks to be dynamically loaded at runtime (it also handles the aforementioned dynamic loading)

• 3d rendering and editing for easy parallax and similar effects

The workflow my addon aims to provide is using godot’s editor for editing assets and my editor for editing levels using those assets.

The editor would also work at runtime, so switching bewteen editing the level and testing the level is instant.

The thing is, when editing levels, my level editor replaces godot’s editor entirely, and idk if that’s a good choice, since my editor needs to be at least as good as godot’s editor when making levels for the addon to be useful.

So I’m considering giving up on this project, especially considering my ui/ux design experience is next to none.

Does any of this sound like it would be any use to anyone?

1 Like

Automatically dividing the level into chunks to be dynamically loaded at runtime (it also handles the aforementioned dynamic loading)

I think this is the most essential part of your project in that Godot already has a good scene editor, and parallax effects aren’t that hard, especially with the upcoming Parallax2D node.

Concentrating on just that aspect of the plugin and make it integrate well with existing workflow could be a wise choice. But I don’t know anything about your system, if that is even feasible option.

1 Like