How to get the dimensions of a Label3D?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By VANN Universal

I basically want to fit a Label3D and some other 3D elements into a specific area. Therefore, I need to know the height of the Label3D (if possible with autowrap on) to adapt the size of the other elements. Any hard coded solution would not work because the text and font size can be changed by the user.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Cyber-Kun

Hello. Do you absolutely need to use a Label3D? Because I’ve been looking but there doesn’t seem to be any way to get the dimensions of one! I was thinking maybe you could try the same thing with a normal Label? But I assume that you have some reason you can’t use the normal label else you probably wouldn’t have asked.

now I’m thinking perhaps you could try to render the text onto a MeshInstance-plane with a transparent background? that would make it easier for you to get the dimensions but then it would be hard to do the autowrapping, unless you use a normal label inside a viewport and a viewport texture? then prehaps it could work but it’d still get quite complicated

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Cyber-Kun

check these out it might help you: Album — Postimages

change container if you want different text allignment–>

instance the control scene with the containers and the label as child of the subviewport

make sure to enable transparent BG on both the subviewport and the meshinstance’s material. also DRAG the viewport texture to the meshinstance/Geometry/Material Override. just loading it doesn’t work for some reason it just keeps failing expecting a shader material.

I hope this helps it’s the only way I could think of doing what you wanted, You might need to make some of your own adjustments to get it to work like you need it to but this is most of the setup to create a custom 3D Label

Thanks for the idea. I’ll try to dynamically update the viewport size to fit the Label and prevent clipping. That could work with autowrap.

VANN Universal | 2023-05-17 19:49

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: VANN Universal

I found a solution using the AABB. You can get the size of probably any 3D object by calling .get_aabb() and getting the size.
For my specific problem, I had to call Label3D.get_aabb().size.