How to update a node/scene through another node's script?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Nebulabee

I’m trying to make an object that, when touched, will replenish the player’s ability to double jump. My player character is already able to double jump, and a simple boolean value checks if they have already double jumped to stop them from jumping infinitely (which is reset when they touch the ground).

I want my character’s “has_double_jumped” value to become false whenever it touches this object, so that it can double jump once more. After that, I’ll attach a timer to the object so that the player needs to wait a few seconds before it offers an extra double jump.

How can I make it so the object’s script updates a variable stored in the player? I tried defining a function within the player that replenishes the double jump and calling said function on the object’s script:

func _on_body_entered(body):
if body.name == ‘Player’:
Player.double_jump_returned()

but it returns an error: ‘Identifier ‘Player’ not declared in the current scope’

is there any way to make the player or variables inside it global?

Maybe the below will work

func onbodyentered(body):
    if body.name == 'Player':
        body.doublejump_returned()

because your checkign if body is the player, but then you try to use a variable named Player to enable double jump again, but in this case body is the player.

You may also be able to do something like

const playerResource = preload("res://path/to/Player.tscn")
    if body is playerResource:

so now you can change the player node’s name without worry

godot_dev_ | 2023-06-17 15:21

Got it to work! Thank you for the help!

Nebulabee | 2023-06-17 16:57

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: godot_dev_

For the record I answered the question in the comments and am duplicating the post as an answer:

Maybe the below will work

if body.name == 'Player':

because your checkign if body is the player, but then you try to use a variable named Player to enable double jump again, but in this case body is the player.

You may also be able to do something like

const playerResource = preload("res://path/to/Player.tscn")
    if body is playerResource:

so now you can change the player node’s name without worry