Pixel Chess - Chess game with pixel art

Hi everyone!

Pixel Chess

I’m working on this project of a chess game using pixel art and it should be called Pixel Chess. I still need to work on the chess AI and a lot of other things, but the moves seems to work for now.

Multiple Views

I also want to experiment with diferent views for the game for the players that would like to try playing with a different view. The idea is to add isometric and perspective views, plus the classic topdown.

Themed Boards and Pieces

Finally, I want to add different themes for the boards and pieces for the players.

The current art should not be final, but it gives an idea of what I have in mind. This a old project of mine that I’m investing my effort to publish this year. For the chess engine, I’m trying to implement a MCTS (Monte Carlo Tree Search) algorithm (which is cracking my head :stuck_out_tongue: ).

I’ll update this post with a video demonstration as soon as I can. Hope you like it!

12 Likes

Wow! I love the isometric art! It really pops

3 Likes

So glad you liked! I’m still working on making the chess engine working with a MCTS algo, but after that I’ll start to work on some aesthetics of the game. I also enjoy the isometric view and that’s what prompt me to make the game

1 Like

The Isometric view is really good! I don’t know what your plans for this game are, but I think adding chiptune musical score, different modes, the ability to exclude certain pieces, and even something like 4 player chess would all be really interesting!

2 Likes

I’ve read that writing chess games can be really code intensive, is it tough to get all possible board states?

2 Likes

Great ideas! I saw this crazy game called Non-Euclidean Chess with different modes of game. And I also saw this concept of quantum chess that made my eyes shine! I will possibly include different game modes for the game.

1 Like

Do you mean, to make the actual chess engine for the game? Well, I would say yes, it is not exactly easy, and I’m still working to figure out how to do it.

Just another thought, but the themed pieces would be awesome for a shovel knight tie in.

1 Like

Totally! I hope Yacht Club Games likes this idea in the future LOL

1 Like

Now we have rook moves!

3 Likes

Seconded! The isometric view looks great :smiley:

1 Like

Glad that you all liked! I’m trying my best to make a good game!

1 Like

This looks awesome!

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Looks good.

You could think about having a from behind style view as well (look up Battle Chess on the Amiga for inspiration)

1 Like

Do you mean this?

1 Like

Yes, thats the one, although the angle is slightly more acute than that.

1 Like

that’s beautiful! I think I can work a little bit and make the board wider, definitively.

Hi everyone!

I’m changing my approach to the game. I was trying to make things on my own with GDScript, but…

Chess is incredibly complex.

So, after talking to some people, I decided to not reinvent the wheel. I’ll use Stockfish as the chess engine, and I will use Godot to build all the other aspects of the game like the game interface.

It seems that using C# to interact with Stockfish is a good option, but I don’t know C#… Until now, since I started to learn it! Wish me luck in this endeavor!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I just uploaded a test version of my game on itch.io! Feel free to download the .zip for Windows and Linux and let me know what you think.

For now, the game has a simple main menu and only the classic theme and top-down view. I will include more options as I work on the game.

1 Like