Unable to remove file in custom "user://" directory

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Batticus

I have a file that needs to be deleted to clear it, but it simply does not get deleted. The error result I get is ‘1’ (Generic Error).

The ‘commented out’ lines are things I’ve tried, but none of them worked either.

func delete_gj_dat() -> void:
    var dir := Directory.new()        

    dir.open(OS.get_user_data_dir()) #<- Commented Out
    dir.open("user://") #<- Commented Out
    dir.remove("gj.dat") #<- Commented Out


I’ve stepped through the code, and it definitely reaches this code. I have the same issue with another file in my project.

Apologies if it’s something obvious, or something I didn’t read.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: akoutsoulelos

Where exactly is gj.dat? Assuming it is directly under the user folder and not in any subfolder:

var dir = Directory.new()


var dir = Directory.new()

should do the trick. Check also what dir.open() function returns, as the problem may lay there.

Hey there, thank you for the reply. I was beginning to think my question got buried.

The gj.dat file would be found in:


Which is directly in the user directory. The custom user directory is:


Both ‘Directory.open()’ and ‘Directory.remove()’ return an Error. open() returns ‘0’, which is okay. However, remove() returns ‘1’, which the docs list as:

Generic error.

I also tried the code you suggested, but the file still does not delete. I’m going to look through the code, just to make sure I’m not doing something stupid. Otherwise I have no clue as to what’s going on here.

Thanks again.

Batticus | 2020-05-10 11:36

Godot default directory for user data in Windows is


so your user data sholud be located in


Have you changed it to the custom


through the applicatiopn properties in editor or are you trying to locate the file manually?

akoutsoulelos | 2020-05-11 06:01

Apologies for the late response, been busy with work.

First off, to answer your question, I have changed the user directory to


That works fine, as the files are successfully generated in that location, and I can save/load settings from the settings file stored there.

That being said, I manually deleted gj.dat, and let the application re-generate the file, now it works as intended. I haven’t had time to do anymore work on the project, so I’m not sure if there is a deeper issue here or not, or if it will re-occur, but for now it seems to be working fine.

Once I get more time to check things out, I’ll have to run some rigorous tests to make sure.

Thank you so much for your time and effort : )

Batticus | 2020-05-26 16:53