What does the `start` method in `$Player.start()` do?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By Lemoneese

I was following the 2D tutorial in the docs, when I came across the start method in $Player.start() and wondered what it does.

I searched in the Area2D and its inherited classes documentation for the start method, but I couldn’t find anything about it. I also used Alt + F1 and found that start is a method of the player.gd class. But I the help menu didn’t give me any useful information. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: crossbito

Hi!

start() is a function in the tutorial. You can find the definition of that function here.

https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/getting_started/first_2d_game/03.coding_the_player.html

Basically, that function sets the position of the player when the game starts.

func start(pos):
    position = pos
    show()
    $CollisionShape2D.disabled = false

I hope it helps you!

Oh, I see. Is there a way to get the built-in script editor to autocomplete methods from classes, so I can avoid little accidents like these?

Lemoneese | 2023-06-10 11:43

Yes, in Godot itself you will get autocomplete methods if you declare the variable’s type. For example:

enter image description here

In the image, I declare “test” as an array. So, when I use “test.” in Godot, the program itself will autocomplete the available functions and variables of that class. This is because Godot knows the type of data I’m using.

crossbito | 2023-06-10 18:13

How about for custom methods like the start method in the Player node, or custom attributes like speed? I looked through the autocomplete and couldn’t find either of them (images below only looked for start).

I also tried declaring the type of the Player node, which I don’t think should do anything (seems like Godot already knows it’s an Area2D object).

Lemoneese | 2023-06-11 01:37

I got it working. Insert class_name Player (after the extends Area2D line) into the player.gd script. In the main.gd script, cast $Player to Player using the as keyword. You can also cast inline as well: ($Player as Player).start() works, for example.

Lemoneese | 2023-06-12 02:53