what is the correct way to add an explosion animation

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By gdt_dvlpr

I am working on a silly game, in which player will control an artillery, adjust its bearing and pitch for a target and then fire. I have finished adjustment of parts. Now I want to fire it. When player fires a cannon, I would like to show a split second animation (animation may not be the right term) of explosion at the end of the barrel of the cannon.

I have considered the particle system in Godot but it looked to me rather unrealistic and simplistic. Or more possibly, I didn’t understand the whole potential of Godot’s particle system.

So, instead, I dove into Blender for fire animation and tried to make something which looked like an explosion. However it turned out to be a bigger task than I initially thought (I am not a Blender expert either). I have already spent day and a half on this issue, and before investing more time into it, I want to ask whether I am moving in the right direction or I am barking at the wrong tree.

Second question (related to the one above): If Blender animation is the answer (I have my doubts thus I am asking these questions), how am I to solve problem of resolution of the animation ? Confusing, isn’t it? [As I write this question, I am reaching the realization that Blender animation is not the right way. What I mean is, I put together something in 3D in Blender models, fire and stuff. When I animated and baked it, it will turn into a 2D animation from the view of the point of the camera. Therefore I won’t be able to properly put this thing back again in a 3D world in Godot. Am I right ? If so, basically Blender animation is definitely not a way. ]

Third question (promise it is all related): How am I supposed to add a realistic explosion animation at the barrel of my cannon ? :smiley:

As you see I am lost in different tools, tutorials etc. I’d appreciate if an expert point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

:bust_in_silhouette: Reply From: Dudedude123

If you’re looking for 3d explosions

This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much for your prompt answer.

gdt_dvlpr | 2023-07-04 09:57