Why code input not executing?

:information_source: Attention Topic was automatically imported from the old Question2Answer platform.
:bust_in_silhouette: Asked By oublieduchaos

Hi there!

extends KinematicBody2D

const flow = -1
const speed = 10
const maxspeed = 100

var motion = Vector2()

func _physics_process(delta):
	if Input.is_action_just_pressed("down"):
		motion.y += speed
		motion.x += speed + flow

So that my code, and i can press the down button (already configurated in the project setting) but it doesn’t do anything… in fact any input button event isn’t working at all so i maybe misread something!

Thansk a lot
OublieduChaos

I don’t see anything wrong there, assuming you have the input configured correctly.

What happens if you add a few print statements to the code?

func _physics_process(delta):
    print('inside physics_process')
    if Input.is_action_just_pressed("down"):
        print('inside input event')
        motion.y += speed
        motion.x += speed + flow

Which messages do you see when you run the code?

jgodfrey | 2022-08-04 20:48

Also, to be clear. That Input code will only run once per each press of the down binding.

jgodfrey | 2022-08-04 20:59

Also, assuming you see the first message (inside physics_process), you’ll probably want to remove it from the code as it’ll spam your console and make it hard to see the other message. :slight_smile:

jgodfrey | 2022-08-04 21:00

So after erasing the 'inside physics_process'
I see every time an input is made a 'inside input event'
So meaning the input work, i think i’m missing something to make the body move… but i’m more tired everynight and so blocking on this line isn’t a good thing to do, so waiting for your answers, and thanks, a lot!

oublieduchaos | 2022-08-05 11:49

You’re going to need to post more code to get any assistance with the movement problem. In the code you’ve shown so far, you’re setting the x and y components on a motion variable, but you don’t show where/how that variable is used in the movement code.

jgodfrey | 2022-08-05 13:35