Crash when loading a project after updating graphics driver

Godot Version



I updated my AMD Radeon graphics drivers to version 24.5.1 and after that Godot crashes when opening a project.

I ran Godot from cmd with --verbose and got the following:

TextServer: Added interface "Dummy"
TextServer: Added interface "ICU / HarfBuzz / Graphite (Built-in)"
Native OpenGL API detected: 3.3: ATI Technologies Inc. - AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Using "winink" pen tablet driver...
Shader 'CanvasSdfShaderGLES3' SHA256: 4191eae71306e1462a792e9f05b50d21e0ca4c494edf87ff4fc722e98d0d9493
Shader 'SkeletonShaderGLES3' SHA256: f8b24d31bb191f35eb3249bbf4c4bbfc35730e77a10c297db099c5025d9281a4
Shader 'ParticlesShaderGLES3' SHA256: e0dff5574f1b8fd967bd31b9f1c2ce9f6f6a987dd2a3eacca98ccb57428999b1
Shader 'ParticlesCopyShaderGLES3' SHA256: f24d0ebd732aab8e69edb568d323bc47322e1419d30e49e4a116a86be2189fa3
Shader 'CopyShaderGLES3' SHA256: 5d97b60e45fadf328a939a9526672ac138ef207520476fdc6b70c6a482250db3
Shader 'CanvasShaderGLES3' SHA256: fc23a4eaba00b715f0e4957e2140084a16b8d27fe9654df700cc81a0824f02f2
Shader 'CanvasOcclusionShaderGLES3' SHA256: fae765889b8ea2cccde38c0d87472562976fed3750d8a896caa4f50988457151
Shader 'SceneShaderGLES3' SHA256: 572cb891046de164e5d1948a7d1dec55129d85daee5316e62b39d9e9a3570b20
Shader 'SkyShaderGLES3' SHA256: 85d5cc3f09b52c2323fb2dc4b2818c3605df32d3ad73f8e0b229b69a49ee8ad5
Shader 'CubemapFilterShaderGLES3' SHA256: 552e9224a1f65ebc99b032bcc80a668e3b1b16e8925cc011fd861cf48ccd5642
OpenGL API 3.3.0 Core Profile Context - Compatibility - Using Device: ATI Technologies Inc. - AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
WASAPI: Activated output_device using IAudioClient3 interface
WASAPI: wFormatTag = 65534
WASAPI: nChannels = 2
WASAPI: nSamplesPerSec = 48000
WASAPI: nAvgBytesPerSec = 384000
WASAPI: nBlockAlign = 8
WASAPI: wBitsPerSample = 32
WASAPI: cbSize = 22
WASAPI: mix_rate = 48000
WASAPI: fundamental_period_frames = 480
WASAPI: min_period_frames = 480
WASAPI: max_period_frames = 480
WASAPI: selected a period frame size of 480
WASAPI: detected 2 channels
WASAPI: audio buffer frames: 480 calculated latency: 10ms

TextServer: Primary interface set to: "ICU / HarfBuzz / Graphite (Built-in)".
CORE API HASH: 2995524600
EDITOR API HASH: 3767149329
EditorSettings: Load OK!
Loaded system CA certificates
EditorSettings: Save OK!
Editing project: E:/GIT/godot/g1
EditorSettings: SGaovdeo tO KE!n
gine v4.2.2.stable.official.15073afe3 -
TextServer: Added interface "Dummy"
XR: Clearing primary interface
XR: Removed interface "Native mobile"
XR: Removed interface "OpenXR"
TextServer: Added interface "ICU / HarfBuzz / Graphite (Built-in)"
Vulkan devices:
  #0: AMD AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX - Supported, Discrete
Vulkan API 1.3.277 - Forward+ - Using Vulkan Device #0: AMD - AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Optional extension VK_KHR_incremental_present not found
Optional extension VK_GOOGLE_display_timing not found
- Vulkan Variable Rate Shading supported:
  Pipeline fragment shading rate
  Primitive fragment shading rate
  Attachment fragment shading rate, min texel size: (8, 8), max texel size: (8, 8)
- Vulkan multiview supported:
  max view count: 6
  max instances: 4294967295
- Vulkan subgroup:
  size: 64
  min size: 32
  max size: 64
  quad operations in all stages
WARNING: Invalid pipelines cache header.
     at: _load_pipeline_cache (drivers/vulkan/rendering_device_vulkan.cpp:9229)
Startup PSO cache (0.0 MiB)
Using "winink" pen tablet driver...
Creating VMA small objects pool for memory type index 2
Creating VMA small objects pool for memory type index 0
ERROR: Can't create buffer of size: 64, error -13.
   at: (drivers/vulkan/rendering_device_vulkan.cpp:1378)
ERROR: Condition "err != OK" is true. Returning: RID()
   at: texture_buffer_create (drivers/vulkan/rendering_device_vulkan.cpp:5283)
Shader 'CanvasSdfShaderRD' (group 0) SHA256: 4c24d980ee9587abd8182c5e910e3466dbc690062574c9a9a70bbd7b159f4748
ERROR: Can't create buffer of size: 12, error -13.
   at: (drivers/vulkan/rendering_device_vulkan.cpp:1378)

How do I proceed?

Did you reboot your computer after updating your drivers?

If you did that and it’s still crashing you could try deleting the shader_cache folder inside your project’s .godot folder and the editor’s data folder. For the editor data folder you can check File paths in Godot projects — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English to know where it’s located.

If that does not fix the issue then try opening an issue here Issues · godotengine/godot · GitHub explaining the problem and what you tried so far.

Now that I tried a few days later the project opened just fine.

As for the reboot thing - there must have been a few boots after installing the graphics driver because I did it a few days before I tried opening my project.

Cheers though, hopefully someone who has the same problem finds help in your advice!