Downloading the custom documentation

Godot Version

Question

Hi, I’m very new to Godot and I want to create documentation about my classes and stuff. I made test script inside my project:

[doc string] my custom documentation
class_name Documentation extends Node

[doc string] this is description of the function
func function():
pass

and now. I want do somehow download doc file that’s created from this. Because now I can only read it in the engine.

It’s not possible. The documentation is generated in the editor only. You could open a proposal here GitHub - godotengine/godot-proposals: Godot Improvement Proposals (GIPs) explaining what you want to achieve so people can discuss about it.

1 Like

Hello esteemed blessyoumate,

What you are asking about is called a ‘Documentation Generator’. For Godot 3.2+, there exists a solution custom built for Godot called GDScript Docs Maker. Unfortunately, there is no custom solution for Godot 4 at this time. Although the language specification for Godot does have documentation comments, there doesn’t appear to be a built-in solution for rendering these into documentation.

There has been some discussion about this issue on Github. One user on that thread recommends NaturalDocs as a potential solution - it seems to be language agnostic, but may take some configuration to correctly reflect your use-case. I cannot vouch for it myself.

I hope that this helps to point you in the right direction, and I wish you luck in finding a solution that meets your needs.

Regards,