Godot C# install on void linux claims the SDK is not installed

Godot Version

4.2.2 (I installed a few days ago)

Question

I’ve been setting up Godot (complete newbie) across two computers, my linux laptop and my windows desktop. I installed godot mono on both and finished the dodge the creeps tutorial. I started this project on the linux install then used github to finish it on the desktop where I had things running. However, when I pulled it onto my laptop again it was unable to run. Attempts to build and run the project on my laptop gives me the .NET Sdk not found. The required version is '8.0.4'. error and a failed build. I’m running void linux which does not have a .net package but I installed it with the installing script. Using dotnet in terminal works perfectly and can also build demo apps fine.

I have to not that godot was originally crashing on startup due to somewhat similar issues. The dotnet installer places the files in ~/.dotnet and set my path variables accordingly. I fixed the startup issue by symlinking the ~/.dotnet folder to /usr/bin/dotnet. This issue seems related, like godot is still looking for files where I haven’t put them but I don’t know where else to look.
Thanks for any input you can give!

The script doesn’t work for whatever reason, Add the dotnet repo and apt install it

I’m using void linux not ubuntu or debian, would you happen to know where those package managers install the binaries so I can do it manually?

do you happen to know where that script installed them? I think they have to be in ~/.dotnet for godot to pick it up

they’re in ~/.dotnet, I believe the path is setup correctly too because the dotnet tool works everywhere

uhmm… idk

So, some bizarre progress. I noticed that when I run godot manually from terminal (rather than using rofi) I don’t get a build error but it still failed. Turns out there was a vulkan installation issue I had to remedy. Now when i run godot from terminal things work great. Running from rofi however still causes this issue. Even doing a workaround where rofi runs a new terminal window then godot it still can’t detect the sdk. Technically this is fixed but I’m gonna work to get to the bottom of it

edit: removed that symlink I mentioned (the one from ~/.dotnet to /usr/bin/dotnet) and the godot launched with sway shows the whole error message about not detecting .net and crashing on opening a project, which it does. The manually launched godot still operates perfectly fine.

Fully fixed! The $PATH that sway (and by extension rofi) was using was the one created at startup. I had only added dotnet to path in my bashrc so only my own bash sessions worked. I wrote a script that did the exports in /etc/profile.d/ and works perfectly now