Half the FPS and distorted viewport on an M3Pro MacBook Pro vs 2019 iMac

Godot Version

4.2.1 Mono

Question

I recently upgraded my old desktop to a M3 Pro Chip, 16" MacBook Pro. I’m getting significantly poorer performance in Godot on this Silicone one vs the ARM64 iMac.

A blank scene on the iMac at a resolution of 2560x1440: Hovers around 600fps.
The same blank scene at 2560x1440 on the M3 is at 190fps.

When I run at half res in the perspective settings, the iMac gets slightly less sharp but remains sharp. The M3 becomes very blurry for everything.

This is the nice sharp half res viewport at 600fps on the 2019 iMac with a Radeon Pro 580X 8GB

This is the same half res scene but very fuzzy and blurry at nearly half the fps on the Apple M3 Pro.

I’ve run other benchmarks on the two and by all measures the M3 blows away graphic performance of the old iMac’s AMD card by light years. Blender renders complex scenes in seconds where the old one took allot longer for the same samples and denoising. I’m just confused why it looks like the viewport is less than half res, it looks a quarter or less res. Lines are thick and blurry and objects are bad. Without FXAA everything looks very crunchy and pixelated.

This is what it looks like with default rendering settings (no AA)

Something is super wacky and I’d love to figure it out.

Please open the images in a new tab to see the full degradation.

Does your iMac have a Retina (hiDPI) display? All MacBooks have one nowadays, so that’s why you may be seeing a difference. Godot is DPI-aware but it can behave differently if multiple displays with different DPI are connected. Also, which OS scaling option are you used in the macOS settings? Try to stick to 2× (default) scaling as other scaling options involve downscaling, which are very expensive.

Thank you for the reply. I do indeed have a retina iMac and the new MacBook is running through a 3440x1400 ultra-wide monitor. Previously I was running the same project off the iMac with the ultra-wide as a 2nd monitor and it was just as sharp (which is why I wonder if it has more to do with the M3Pro chip vs the Radeon card).

The iMac is not scaling the display, it’s running the the default resolution 2560 x 1440. I appreciate the advice, but the degradation in how the lines and gizmos draw is pretty significant. The last picture is default Godot install with no anti-aliasing, and at 3440x1440 that’s pretty harsh looking. You can see how the rotation lines of the gizmo just dissolve. With AA on everything is fuzzy.