horizOn: A game backend for Godot
Hi everyone,
I built horizOn while working on a game that needed a backend. I wanted hosting in Europe, the US and Asia, replication and backups, with a monthly bill I could plan around.
It handles player accounts, cloud saves, leaderboards, remote config, news, gift codes, player feedback and crash reporting. The hosted service has a free tier and fixed monthly plans with published limits.
The Godot addon
The addon is free and open source under the MIT license. It uses GDScript and requires Godot 4.5 or later.
You can get it from the Godot Asset Store. The code, release ZIPs and issue tracker are in the Godot SDK repository on GitHub.
Getting started
- Put
horizon_sdkinres://addons/horizon_sdk/. - Enable horizOn SDK under Project > Project Settings > Plugins.
- Create a project at horizon.pm and download its SDK configuration.
- Import it through Project > Tools > horizOn: Import Config.
- Open
addons/horizon_sdk/examples/horizon_test_scene.tscnto try it.
The quickstart on horizon.pm includes the setup guide, examples and videos.
There is also an open-source PHP Simple Server for self-hosting. It supports a subset of the hosted features. The SDK repository explains how to connect to it.
Questions and feedback here are welcome. If you try the addon, I’d like to hear how it fits into your project and where you get stuck.
