How to setup camera for immersive first person mech?

Hi! As a software dev, I want to dip my toes into creating a pretty simple PoC for a game I have been envisioning for a while. Basically, it is about piloting a mech in first person, totally immersive in the sense that you still turn your head inside the cockpit and the machine follows you, slowly, as best as it can. Also, as physics based as computationally possible. You would also be able to open the cockpit and step out to make repairs.


I modeled a crude cockpit and grippers in blender and imported it by dragging it and creating an inherited scene, but the camera does not accept the new FOV settings I write into the properties field. Interestingly, the preview does react to my changes:
Here’s the view when I press play:

Here’s the settings and camera preview:


What node structure should I use? cockpit as a child of the player model? The other way around? Separate? The weird constraint I have in this case is that the player location (and thus the camera view) is set by the mech’s cockpit, but the orientation setpoint where the mech should slowly turn to look, is the player’s camera. That could cause some weird feedback loop if the position/rotation of one is inherited by the other or viceversa.

How would you set it up? Here’s the model in case someone steps up for me and shares a working PoC [Nevermind the forum only allows uploading certain media files].

I was about to say that your current node setup seems fine, but if you are rotating the cabin, the camera should inherit the rotation transform as well, whoops!

You could use a placeholder node for the position of the camera, and then just set the world position of the camera to equal the position of that placeholder node. That, or use remote transforms: RemoteTransform3D — Godot Engine (stable) documentation in English