PiN the Guardian Spirit - Action 2D Platformer [Wishlist/Try the demo on Steam!]

Thanks Johno!
Yeah, essentially — the transforms are recorded every frame, while the state is only stored when it differs from the most recent entry.

The game runs up to 120 fps, so recording transforms every frame keeps the ghost nice and precise, whereas doing the same for states felt redundant.

1 Like

That might be a lot of data to store in the cloud. Consider using some sort of algorithm to find when points are roughly in a line and then just use the endpoints, saving on points. Compressing the data may also help. What size is the ghost data right now?

Fair point… the first level ghost is sitting at 1445kb . which does seem a bit chunky.

I’ll try using end points and possibly reduce recording to every 2/3 frames instead; then maybe interpolate the ghost during run time.

I didn’t even consider compressing it; so I’ll try that too. It’s also currently a JSON file.

Okay, its now at 844kb. I haven’t tried end points yet but ..

Note to self, frame-rate based playback might not be the one:

1 Like

NewSize

1 Like

Been a minute!
Been doing a lot of boring stuff on the game lately, so I haven’t got anything juicy to show just yet.

In the meantime, I thought I’d share a smaller update:

Low health now has PiN looking exhausted, if you stand still:

You can now melee while walking. Felt weird being locked to just standing and running melee attacks. And, you can now bonk your head on the ceiling if you launch upwards too fast:

Other than that, I’m trying to polish this build as much as possible, so it feels like a genuine demo I can push out everywhere.

6 Likes

There’s now a working leaderboard! Just need to make everything look nice…

Next, you’ll be able to download ghosts.
I’m leaning towards having the time trial pit you against both your own personal best and a ghost that you pick. Or maybe an option to toggle them.

I might also add unlockable skins :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m genuinely cheeks when it comes to UI and data.

So I’m very thrilled to show that I’ve now got a working options menu with rebind-able keys etc! (Ignore the squashed layout for binds, I get excited and forget to polish things)
(There’s also an option to toggle fps somewhere. Oops)

The leaderboard is now live! You can download ghost data:

You can either download just your personal best, or both yours and someone elses’:

More planned, more to come and more to polish before I start pushing it everywhere!

3 Likes

Been a minute…..

Thought I’d show a small update:

1.Minor Enemies + Spirit Bubbles

They’ve always been in the game, but I thought I’d give them a use. (100% Rayman)

Depending on how you kill them, (or the direction of your kunai) you can affect the bubble’s trajectory, and use it like a make-shift spring.

  1. More character, more personality for every enemy

  1. Grapple Hook!

  1. Perfect Dodge refinement

The ability now lets you keep moving forward. Actually, the mechanic’s bugged atm. The animation either ends too quickly or it plays right, but ends up insta-killing the enemy. Here’s another clip without the insta-kill bug, and an opportunity to insta-kill instead:

  1. Tile art refinement

I’ve been wanting to add more detail and just improve my level art. Not sure if I’ll hire some help in the future, but here’s an example of a new tileset.

That’s all for now!

Got more cooking in the oven but I’ll leave it there.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well. Just been tinkering away on the flow of the level, patreon assets and discord server.

Just a quick update again:

Flying jar + Carry extra health:

Hop on cannon-fodder enemies + horizontal poles:

Grapple hooks + You can slide to preserve momentum, and release to jump. It lets you slide through tight gaps. Can do it on the ground or mid-air:

Patreon Tiers!

Tweaked the logo:

Patreon banner:

2 Likes

I just like the logo :disguised_face:

1 Like

It’s SICK N EPIK!

1 Like

Thanks Frozen!!

1 Like

The logo is cool, but the pink and blue clash way too much in “The Guardian Spirit”. Probably switch to a lime green for contrast, or stick with solid pink I’d say.

1 Like

Yeah, thats a fair call. I’ll tweak it with more pink then maybe. Blue at least thematically matches PiN, but green may be a bit too alien.

Also, I’m working on a short showcase video tomorrow. But I’ll upload a clip of some stuff I’ve been doing later today

Still needs a lot of visual polish, but here’s a few of the new things working together:

-Enemy bubbles

-Sliding / Diving

-Grapple hook

-Enemy vines

-Charged / Giant shuriken

-New running melee

Edit: Forgot about the Transporter. As you might expect, it gets you from point A to point B. I was recording it and forgot to turn off collisions. So, here you go - thought this clip’s funnier:

3 Likes

Looking good. Is there an updated demo?

1 Like

Thanks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: there’ll be a new one up next week at the earliest, end of the month latest.

I’ll post here when its up

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve been able to properly hear that music, and it sounds great! Would totally add it to my playlist if you had it on YouTube. Did you make it yourself?

2 Likes

Thanks! I made the start and hook, then used Suno to extend it.

2 Likes