Switch scenes issue

Godot Version

4.2.1.stable

Question

EDIT Streamble of the issue: Godot Engine Nvidia Profile 2024.01.31 - 12.08.19.02

Hello !

I made 3 scenes to practice switching scene, I can switch from 1 to 2, from 2 to 3, from 3 to 2, ect… by clicking on keys. My issue is that once I go back to the first scene I CANNOT switch scene anymore, the script doesn’t even execute anymore, it is like I am on my Scene 1 but my script is not attached, however as long as I don’t go to scene 1 I can switch from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 2 unlimited times.

Here’s the code used:

Code used for scene 1:

extends Node2D

func _unhandled_key_input(event):
	var level_2 = preload("res://Levels/level_2.tscn")
	print(event.as_text())
	if event.is_action_pressed("Next"):
		get_tree().change_scene_to_packed(level_2)

Code used for scene 2:

extends Node2D

var level_1 = preload("res://Levels/level_1.tscn")
	var level_3 = preload("res://Levels/level_3.tscn")
	print(event.as_text())
	if event.is_action_pressed("Previous"):
		get_tree().change_scene_to_packed(level_1)
	if event.is_action_pressed("Next"):
		get_tree().change_scene_to_packed(level_3)

Code used for scene 3:

extends Node2D

var level_2 = preload("res://Levels/level_2.tscn")
	print(event.as_text())
	if event.is_action_pressed("Previous"):
		get_tree().change_scene_to_packed(level_2)

I reproduced your code locally. Check the bottom of the Editor while it’s running, look at the Debugger Errors, you’ll see a couple! I haven’t personally messed with scenes, but it looks like there’s some issues relating to switching scenes and perhaps which is your main scene (because when I made 2 my main scene, I saw the same behavior but couldn’t switch back off of 2).

E 0:00:02:0518   _parse_ext_resource: res://Levels/level_1.tscn:7 - Parse Error: [ext_resource] referenced non-existent resource at: res://scene1.gd
  <C++ Source>   scene/resources/resource_format_text.cpp:163 @ _parse_ext_resource()
E 0:00:02:0525   set_path: Another resource is loaded from path 'res://Levels/level_1.tscn' (possible cyclic resource inclusion).
  <C++ Error>    Method/function failed.
  <C++ Source>   core/io/resource.cpp:75 @ set_path()

Edit: Looks like it is a cyclic dependency. One way to fix it seems to be to use load here instead of preload.

1 Like

Hi!
I replaced preload() func to load() and it seems to work properly now.

I’ll try to understand differences between preload() and load() and figure out preload() was not working in my case now :wink:

Thank you for helping me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.