[Tutorial] Singletons in Godot

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ske-iL4mxdI

Hi folks! In this video, I explain the Singleton Design pattern, and how it applies to the Godot game engine. My goal was to encourage diving a bit deeper into programming principles, while still keeping it Godot focused (explanation of autoloads, etc).

Pleased to hear any feedback.

2 Likes

Speaking of, does anyone know why I cannot post in the ā€˜Resourcesā€™ section of the forums? I guess that would be a better section for this kind of thing.

1 Like

Bookmarked to watch later

Here are the video notes: godot-yt-reference/godot-singletons/video-notes.md at main Ā· SirLich/godot-yt-reference Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Here is a potential solution:

I have moved this to the Tutorials category :gdparty:

2 Likes

the link is to a video modeling a fish?

2 Likes

Iā€¦ do not understand what went wrong. I also cannot edit the post anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ske-iL4mxdI

@winston-yallow could you possible overwrite the link in the original post with the link above? Iā€™m deeply confused how this happened, as the edit history doesnā€™t show anything.

@sirlich Iā€™ve updated the post. Old posts can not be edited by users (spam bots like to do that to insert ads into old posts), only admins can alter a post after some time.

As for why the wrong link was there in the first place: I checked all logs, and I canā€™t find any traces of a change so it seems like it was the wrong link from the start on :sweat_smile:

That is very odd. When I commented on this thread 14 days ago it was after I watched the tutorial.
I would have noticed the fish for sure. (lol)

I think something might be wrong here.

I made another post (see here: My first YT Tutorial: Custom Nodes using GDScript! - #15 by nutlike4693). In the comments, somebody was complaining my tutorial was too fast paced, so I sent the fish video to show my inspiration.

But somebody left a comment saying that both YT links pointed to the same video (somehow?). So I edited my post to change the YT link (which was pointing to my video) to point to the fish video.

And as a side effect, it somehow changed this posts link as well.

Is there some caching/link redirection stuff going on that means multiple posts with the same links are all ā€œconnectedā€ somehow?

It really shouldnā€™t be :gdsweat:

I have absolutely no explanation for this. Except maybe the server is haunted by a ghost. But other than that, no idea.

We will definitely keep an eye on this though to investigate it in more detail in case it happens again. Iā€™ll also adjust some logging settings to hopefully have better debug logs if it happens again.