Godot Version
v4.7.2.stable.official [ed1daf0bf]
Question
I’m trying to make a game with a 3d world and a static 3d camera looking down diagonally at 2d characters walking around. Think don’t starve or cult of the lamb perspective wise. The player can’t control the characters directly, but can click and interact with them. The characters would be animated with 2d skeletons, with cutout animation and possibly deforming the sprites.
I made the world 3d because I figured it’d be easier to do things like characters moving closer to or away from the camera, but I plan on having the art style look pretty flat, so I don’t think I’ll need the 3d for shading or anything like that.
My question is whether or not the most efficient way to do this is having the characters in subviewports that are used as viewporttextures for transparent quads? I saw that sprite3d is a thing but I’m not sure how I’d do the skeletons for that. Currently I have polygon2ds. Is it even worth having the characters in 3d space or should I just have them be 2d and code the perspective stuff? Also, if I have them exist in 3d space, is it better to turn on billboarding, or just make all the sprites have the same rotation as the camera, since I don’t plan on having the camera rotate? Which billboarding mode would be best?
Sorry if a lot of this has been answered before. Just checking in case there’s some really obvious solution for this that I’m missing.