Camera callback modes process vs physics, what are the use cases?

Godot Version

Question

I was wondering what are the palpable differences between the two modes, I understand that they use the ticks of different processes but on an beginner-human level when is it interesting to use one or the other?

I don’t notice differences when I change them

Unless you encounter issues like stuttering and jittering in your camera movement, there’s no reason to change the default value. By default, it will update alongside _process, so it will update at however many frames your PC is able to render per second. If you change to the physics process mode, it will run at a maximum of 60 frames per second (or lower, if your PC is struggling). This mostly matters when you use position or rotation smoothing, because it affects how often and by how much the engine will be able to modify those values.

1 Like

Funnily enough I was looking at this exact same thing on my current project last night.

Yeah basically the defaults ‘should’ be fine.

I think if you were using a camera with physics (i.e. the camera object itself is being affected by physics,) then it should be fine.

I was having an issue with jittery movement and was trying various options until I realised I wasnt multiplying by delta (I was but commented the line out in the code for other reasons previously).

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, shed some light on the subject.