Character customization in Godot [3D]

Godot Version

Godot 4.2.2

Question

I’m afraid to start my planned project because I don’t know whether it’s possible to do a full-fledged customization of the character in Godot, changing the jacket, pants, etc.

I understand that I can make the character, all the clothes in blender, and then just hide the visibility of the clothes I don’t need in godot, but will this be good for performance?
Can I export clothes with a skeleton separately into blender, and then load them dynamically using the skeleton of the character itself? if yes, can you please provide a detailed answer and advice on what is needed for this and how to do it

Yeah, you can.

You can add and remove clothes like nodes.

1 Like

So how can you use code to bind new clothes to the character’s skeleton?

I don’t really understand the question. The clothes should already be adapted to the figure in MakeHuman and transferred to Blender, where the animation is applied to the figure and the clothes. And only then imported into Godot. And there it is a node that can be instantiated, made visible or vice versa.

You can do without MakeHuman and do everything in Blender, but there will be more manual work. And it is necessary to assign animation in Blender.

I’m talking about exporting the character separately without clothes, meaning the character will have no clothing meshes, and then using code to create the clothes in the character node, linking his skeleton to the character’s skeleton dynamically

I’m not sure it’s possible to make the clothes completely separate and match them to the character in the engine.

But I plan to study this issue in detail in the near future.

1 Like

Буду рад если достигнешь успехов)

1 Like

Отпишусь здеся.

1 Like