Creating your first script official guide not working for C#

Godot Version

Question

Hi, I’m following the official Creating your first script guide provided by Godot, trying to do it in C#, but it doesn’t work at the end returning the following error:

E 0:00:00:0730 can_instantiate: Cannot instance script because the associated class could not be found. Script: ‘res://sprite_2d.cs’. Make sure the script exists and contains a class definition with a name that matches the filename of the script exactly (it’s case-sensitive).
<C++ Error> Method/function failed. Returning: false
<C++ Source> modules/mono/csharp_script.cpp:2417 @ can_instantiate()

I have set up visual studio code in the dotnet configs and installed the SDK for C#.

the script is correctly referenced in the Sprite2D node and it returns the error above.

The C# script is the following:

using Godot;

public partial class MySprite2D : Sprite2D
{
	private int _speed = 400;
	private float _angularSpeed = Mathf.Pi;

public override void _Process(double delta)
	{
		Rotation += _angularSpeed * (float)delta;
		var velocity = Vector2.Up.Rotated(Rotation) * _speed;

Position += velocity * (float)delta;
	}
}

Hmm, has the C# project been built? In the top right corner, there is a hammer button next to the play button in the Godot Editor; try clicking that and see if anything changes.

You can also try right clicking the script in your file panel and clicking re-import if that doesn’t work.

Other than that, I’m not sure as I use Visual Studio 2022.

It looks like the problem is the way the script is named in the File System. Change the name to: MySprite2D.cs

That should remove the error.

That worked! Thanks!

I’m gonna notify godot of the mistake in the page.