Don't use Godot with VPN

Godot Version

Question

As a beginner in Godot, I did not expect that a VPN would block certain important components of Godot. For instance, I found that I was unable to debug my program using print statements or breakpoints. If you are facing similar issues, please make sure to check if your VPN is causing the problem.

I have no VPN to test that myself, but… that doesn’t sound right! Why would using a VPN (i.e. re-routing your network traffic) affect debugging in a local application?

Which VPN software/protocol are you using? It shouldn’t intercept localhost connections that don’t even bind on 0.0.0.0. By default, Godot binds its debugger on 127.0.0.1 so that other devices on the LAN can’t access it (this also avoids firewall prompts).

2 Likes

I have a VPN and Godot is running just fine, no problems at all.
Might be some odd settings that cause problems?

Don’t know why it is but I also had the same issue. Thought I was going crazy until I turned off the VPN and everything in the output showed up again.

Ran into something similar before with VPN causing stuff to not work and I remembered the fix was disabling “split tunneling” in the VPN settings. Tried that for godot and this also resolved the issue for me.