[QUESTION] Simplest node/code layout to create a cutscene in a 2D pixel art RPG

• Godot Version 4.2.1 -

Hi everyone,

I am new to Godot and game programming, and I am having quite a ride so far. However, I am starting to encounter more advanced issue that I might want to get some help from this forum. The first one relates to what would a basic code (and possibly node, as well?) layout would be for a 2D game where I want to create a cutscene that plays automatically. Let’s say I want an automatic set of events where my main character moves to three spots in the map, picks three items, returns to the starting point, and interacts with an NPC to generate a final dialogue. The individual interactions I know how to do them, but I am wondering about how can the player move and interact automatically without inputs in a cutscene-like scene.

My first assumption would be to create an inherited scene with the scenario where I have my level, player and items, inherit the class from it (so that it keeps all the basics, since my cutscene is basically the game layout but generating a series of automatic events), and I guess I can play around with removing the UI so that it does not display. But how do I do to create the cutscene movements and interactions? Does it go with an AnimationPlayer, and I have to control the time scale with the player? Or is it done with code, creating events, using awaits and timeouts, and so on? I am very lost at how I could do so, so any simple guidelines on how I could tackle it might help me get on the right track.

Thanks in advance for any reply regarding this. I highly appreciate your input and experience when assisting newbies like me, which is making me grow as a gamedev and learn and enjoy this world a lot. Hope you’re all having a good week so far!

I think this video covers what you’re trying to do:

1 Like

Wow, a full video! Thanks for that! Cannot check it right now, but I believe you might be pointing to the direction I want to go through. Thanks a lot for helping me with this resource, really appreciated!